BankFive Overdraft Privilege Terms and Conditions
BankFive Overdraft Privilege is a discretionary service used to cover inadvertent overdrafts. We are not obligated to pay any item presented for payment if your account does not contain sufficient funds. However, if you maintain your checking account in good standing (defined as making regular deposits and bringing your account to a positive balance at least once every 30 days for a minimum of 24 hours) and there are no delinquent loans with us, legal orders, liens or levies outstanding, we may cover your overdrafts as described in this policy.
An insufficient balance could result in several ways, such as:
- the payment of checks, electronic funds transfers, or other withdrawal requests;
- payments authorized by you;
- the return of unpaid items deposited by you;
- the imposition of bank service charges
If we honor an item for you that is presented against insufficient funds, the amount of that item PLUS the bank's Overdraft/NSF fee of $35.00 (per item) will be deducted from your account. This fee is applicable on a per item basis for each item that is presented against insufficient funds. This fee is reduced to $5.00 for account holders 65 and older.
- No application is required for our BankFive Overdraft Privilege; eligibility is at the sole discretion of BankFive and is based on you managing your checking account in a responsible manner. Must be 18 or older to be eligible.
- BankFive Overdraft Privilege applies to overdrafts caused by checks, in-person withdrawals, ACH transactions, preauthorized automatic transfers, internet banking, mobile banking and telephone banking transactions. ATM and one time debit card transactions will not be covered by this service unless you have elected to OPT IN to this service. You should note that your Overdraft limit will NOT be reflected in your balance provided by a teller, at the ATM, through our Telephone Banking Line or through Online Banking.
Please be aware that the order of payments may create multiple overdrafts during a single banking day for which you will be charged a $35.00 (per item) Overdraft/NSF fee for each overdraft whether paid or returned. Keep track of your account balance and your transactions to avoid this result. We will charge you a fee of up to $35.00 each time we pay an overdraft. There is a limit of six (6) per item overdraft fees that we can charge you on any one day for overdrawing your account. Thus, there is a limit of $210.00 per day on the fees we will charge you for overdrawing your account. After 6 items have been paid out of the Overdraft Privilege limit in a one-day period, and corresponding $210.00 in Overdraft/NSF fees have been charged, any additional items presented for payment that day will be paid without the fee assessment, provided you have enough funds in your Overdraft Privilege limit to cover the items presented in excess of 6. Also, if your account is overdrawn for 7 or more consecutive business days we will charge an additional $5.00 per day. This limit does not apply to business accounts.
Any item $5.00 or less that created an overdraft will not be charged a fee. Additionally, any item that creates an overdraft balance of $5.00 or less regardless of the item amount will not be charged a fee.
- This is an expensive way of handling your account and you have the option to have this service removed at any time by calling us at 774-888-6100, writing us at BankFive, Attn: Operations Department, P.O. Box 1191, Fall River, MA 02722-1191 or contacting your local BankFive office. It is important for you to consider that by opting out of this service without some other form of overdraft plan such as an account transfer or line of credit (which is offered to qualified accounts) you are instructing us to return unpaid items presented against insufficient funds. If you opt out, you will still be charged our $35.00 Overdraft/NSF Fee.
Payment Order of Items
- The order in which items are presented may affect the total fees assessed to your account. In general we process your in clearing checks and ACH items at the beginning of each business day from lowest to highest dollar amount. ATM and Point of Sale (POS) transactions are processed throughout the day as they are conducted. We reserve the right to change this order of payment without notice to you if we suspect fraud or possible illegal activity affecting your account.
- We monitor customer accounts for chronic or excessive use. If you overdraw your account more than six times in a rolling twelve month period you will be contacted to discuss alternatives and/or continued use of BankFive Overdraft Privilege.
- Financial literacy and education helps customers make informed decisions. Heightened awareness of personal financial responsibility helps customers realize the benefits of responsible money management, understanding the credit process and the availability of help if problems occur. www.MyMoney.gov
is the federal government's website for federal financial literacy and education programs, grants and other information. To request a personal financial toolkit, call 1-888-MyMoney
- Your account agreement describes the duties, obligations, and rights of depositors, authorized signatories with regard to your deposit accounts. Please refer to your account agreement received at account opening. Your account agreement and this disclosure shall be construed so as to minimize conflicts between them.
Overdraft Privilege is a non-contractual courtesy which is available to individually/jointly owned accounts. The account must also be in good standing and used primarily for personal or business use. BankFive reserves the right to limit participation to one account per household or business and to discontinue this service without prior notice.
- Your BankFive Overdraft Privilege may be suspended or permanently removed based on the following criteria:
- You are more than 30 days past due on any BankFive loan or delinquent on any other obligation to BankFive.
- You are subject to any legal or administrative orders, levy, or are currently a party in a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Your account is being reviewed for fraudulent activity or transactions.
- A ChexSystems or other negative indicator has been reported to us.
- You have an outstanding balance on an Overdraft Repayment Plan.
- Your account is classified as inactive.
- You have an unresolved prior loss with BankFive.
- We do not have a valid address for you.
BankFive may suspend your debit card if your account is overdrawn more than 30 consecutive calendar days (including the overdraft privilege if applicable). Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your account balance is positive.
We may refuse to pay an overdraft for you at any time, even though we may have previously paid overdrafts for you. You will be notified by mail of any NSF items paid or returned that you may have. The amount of any overdraft plus our Overdraft/NSF fee of $35.00 (per item) that you owe us shall be due and payable upon demand. If there is an overdraft paid by us on an account with more than one owner on the signature card, each owner and agent, drawing/presenting the item creating the overdraft, shall be jointly and severally liable for such overdraft plus our Overdraft/NSF fee of $35.00 (per item).